The Most Important Stuff Ever

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Screw the Color, Is It Even There to Begin With?!?!

I'm looking for some life, here. Where can I get some life? Specifically something that doesn't make me argue with people that I love, and supports my addiction to doing good things for other people? Where can I find that? Because it's not the internet.
I'm reading this book, perhaps you've heard of it, called What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles. Apparently, he rewrites the damn book every freaking year, and all I have to work with is 2002. The year I graduated! Anyway, according to Dick (yeah, I said it) there are two types of job searches- you're everyday-I-need-more-money kind of search and the life-changing-brand-spankin-new-career-path-change-of-life kind. I am decidedly on the latter, not surprising because I tend to either over-dramatize (hyphenating is fun!) or take too personally any sort of life decision, from cooking dinner to looking for jobs. Dick also says, "The clearer your vision of what you seek, the closer you are to finding it." He suggests a few exercises to help you with said vision, including one that involves drawing pictures. As I was reading about this exercise, I immediately thought I would do better with writing a story about it, but there at the end, he denies me and says that words are left-brained and therefore catering to my "safekeeping self."
I've never read a self-help book before, unless you count psychology texts. I don't intend to start taking advice from them now, but if nothing else, this book gets you thinking about what you should be thinking about. Right? And at this point, I could use any sort of direction that's available. Including but not limited to online tests, random searches on google and altavista, and surveys of students and friends.
Not only do I not have a vision of what I seek, I'm pretty sure I don't even know how to begin looking for it. Who cares what my vision is when all I know is that I want to get on another plane. We have a lot of work to do here before I start drawing pictures of things.

1 Comments:

  • My advice on vision...I would suggest going to emode.com. It is where I learned that I am most like Monica, Barrett is most like Chandler, and that my color is yellow. Emode.com (now Tickle.com but you can get there by using emode.com) helped me understand that I'm equally turned on my physical attraction and environment and that my ideal sexual partner is a Type 2. Who would have guessed that I like a man to have experience and a never-ending (yeah hyphens) reserve of creativity. I figure if Emode/Tickle can help me understand my vision and cravings if you will, then you should be set to at least start a vision. Then in no time you can start drawing pictures. Emode helped me realize that my subconscious mind is driven most by peace, thanks to the inkblot test. What I'm saying is Emode/Tickle is the answer.

    Let me know how it works out for you. I hope you have as much success with it as I did.

    Smiles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home