The Most Important Stuff Ever

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Discount Drug Mart Saves You the Runaround

I was not more than a block off of campus today before that tiny taste of freedom had me thinking of how much I am looking forward to leaving. It is refreshing to know, given all the anxiety I muddled through surrounding the decision to move on from a career I no longer believe in. I had just finished helping on of my RAs find a home for the summer and had no sooner put my headphones on than I caught a glimpse of the horizon just over Dino's drive through, and realized how important my independence would be to me in the next few years of my life. While walking to the drug store and McDonalds is a nice 45 minute jaunt that accomplishes important errands (like buy chips and salsa), there is no trip that takes me to a museum, concert, or good friend's house for a visit. E tells me I am better than this job.

Wooster has treated me well over the past three years and has been a good place to transition from college, but there are bigger things in my heart and challenges I need to face before I'm too old to find a place for them in my life. Maybe I was listening to the right kind of music at the right time, but as I turned towards my residence hall and saw the empty parking lot, I did remember all of those things that I would look back at and miss.

Lending out various kitchen items (can opener, pots, pans, flipper, etc.). Waiting in the lobby before dinner. Loitering around the info desk with the Conference Crew. Sweaty hall checks. Committees. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" "This is your apartment???" Birthday drinks. Phone numbers. Business cards. Staff meetings. Staff meetings. Staff meetings. Cooking out. El Canelo. Margaritas. Rum and coke. Finals week. Kenarden parties that I broke up. Kenarden parties that I pretended to sleep through. Beer bongs. Singer/songwriters. My guitar. E's guitar. Deflatable bike tires. Taco Bell. West Wing season one. OC/Gilmore Girls/Alias/CSI/House/Grey's Anatomy. Trading CDs. Mike and Ikes on the coffee table. Training. In-service. Away messages. IM. WHN. TMA. RSE. Fourth floor of Armington. Propped doors. Thrown locks. Mass hysteria over graffiti. More mass hysteria. The Voice. Lacrosse equipment. Holden and the Annex. Mr. Arden. The interrupting staff triumvirate. Challenge of the Week. Staff development. "Staff development."

It's a long list, and I'm hoping maybe to add to it over the next few weeks. I'm also hoping to add to the larger list after these next few weeks. We shall see what the resume's bring back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home