The Most Important Stuff Ever

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

What That's About


Not as possesive as this

A long time ago I was dating this boy who lived sort of far away in Philadelphia and every once in a while I would spring for a plane ticket and fly out to see him for a few days. The relationship was good because we communicated a lot (that's really all we could do, after all) and because I was still fully independent of any reliance on the relationship. In other words, if a day went by that I didn't talk to or see him, it obviously wasn't a big deal. Anyway, whenever I would fly out, I would have this incredible sense of independence. I could go where I wanted to, even if it was 500 miles away from what I called home. And when I got there? Anything I wanted, wherever and however I wanted. Not that college was constricting me from doing these things, but the reason to go do something new was obvious, and there was still that reassurance that someone would be there at the gate (because back then, you could still do that kind of thing) to greet me.

The picture of Gollum is funny for one reason and purposeful for another. 1. That boyfriend really liked science fiction, to the point that he actually had a
staff (not like that, sicko) that he walked with when we went to South Street. It was mildly embarassing, but at the time I thought it was an indication of what kind of an individual he was capable of being. 2. Gollum, in the books anyway, is very much a hermit. Not an entirely appealing occupation, but intriguing nonetheless. I'm not planning on moving under a rock or anything, but with adulthood often comes the realization that we really are more or less on our own in this world. But not in an icky-Gollum-ish way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home