The Most Important Stuff Ever

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I Am a Cynical Idealist

We talked about religion in our Student Affairs (again, not about having affairs with students) meeting this week. Yeah. The rabbi Brad Hirschfield showed us his most excellent documentary, Freaks Like Me. Which was touching and I enjoyed hearing from representatives of different religions including a priestess and a woman who claimed to be "nothing." He's also a very engaging speaker, and if you're in Wooster this week, I would encourage you to attend something.
All that nice crap being said, I was rather annoyed by this meeting. I do not like being forced to discuss religion as an expectation of my job. I have nothing against religion, it's just not for me. There, I said it. The social implications of having a religion are too much for me to handle. People fight wars in the name of their god, the very same god that turns its back on them when they are most in need. People hate each other in the name of their god, and when the good rabbi talked about how he would not perform a gay marriage ceremony, I was once again assured that this religion thing is not for me. If something is claimed to be perfect, how can it reject any person? Am I too much of an idealist if I say that I think there is some good in everyone, it is only how you choose to bring that good out that makes us different people? To me this isn't crap, and it isn't who you think told you to be good that matters anyway. (In fact, I'm almost possible that this direction doesn't come from any outside source but from within.) To me, religion will never be the good that I see in the world and I am the only one that can try and make or find that.
Until next time...

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

5 Comments:

  • I think you worry too much about how other people are responding to religion (rejecting, killing, hating, waring, ect.)

    what does god make you do? if you talk to him i guess.

    Let's Philoso-Fight!!! over blog!!!!

    I'm reading this very smart book, oddly enough, that talks about how open dialogue, politics and religion (or spirituality) are the only forces capable of changing the world for good. (and by changing the world for good, i'm talking about ending poverty and disease, saving the environment and keeping the peace, among other things - not keeping boys from kissing each other or sending women who have abortions to jail.)

    By Blogger Class of 2000 officers, at 10:55 AM  

  • It is exactly that that I am worried about, yes. Religion is a social construct designed to help people find some meaning in life. That being said, I fear the way people understand religion and what messages it is sending people.
    As for me, and god and what he "makes" me do? I don't think he cares to make anything more than what has already been made. I have specific examples of this that I can cite for you later if you want- but it's not he/she/it that makes me do what I think is right. Like M.G. said, you have to be the change that you wish to see in the world...
    -p.s. I knew you were going to respond to this :)

    By Blogger Megan, at 5:15 PM  

  • I am worried also. Yes yes, I fear the worst. I don't mean the best of the worst, yes I mean the worst. Now, you may say; what does this mean? You must search deep inside, and that's where you will find the answer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 PM  

  • I have but 3 words of wisdom...Let it be

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 PM  

  • i really dislike religion as well. on the other hand, i really like spirituality. of course that's more of a personal thing than a world-wide social thing. i think more people should be spiritual than religious. it would probably lead to a lot less hate/death/descrimination etc. oh, the only thing i disagree with is the "God turns his back on his people". not that it really upset me, just that God doesn't really "come down" to earth to save the day, that would interfere with free will and have waaaaaaaaaaay too many complications.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home